Riverside Cemetery is a wonderful cultural symbol of Cleveland Ohio.
Dedicated in April 1876, Riverside Cemetery was initially a 102.5 acre farm owned by Titus Brainard. The high land overlooked the Cuyahoga River and a valley of farms bordering it, which suggested the name Riverside. This was the establishment of the first major sized cemetery association on the west side of the Cuyahoga River. In November 1876, a dedication ceremony occurred with Governor and President-elect Rutherford B. Hayes participating.
The Administration Building (1896) and the Stone Chapel (1876) are nationally registered buildings. Many greater Cleveland’s notable industrialists, land developers, political and cultural forefathers rest eternally here. Cemetery records are complete from April 1876. The many and varied century-old, granite and marble monuments and headstones are an awesome and unique attraction not found in most newer cemeteries established since the 19th century.
Olivia’s grandfather, August Ferdinand Alber, had already been laid to rest at Riverside in September 1969. Olivia's Aunt Maimu was laid to rest at Riverside in May 2004.
It was an obvious choice to have Olivia laid to rest and wait for her parents at Riverside Cemetery. Olivia rests at the right hand of her Father, Daddy.
Jesus ascended into Heaven, and, He is seated at the right hand of the Father. “The right hand of God” means eternal happiness. It means inestimable, inexpressible beatitude.
Furthermore, it was important for us (Olivia’s parents) to be in an area where there was a lot of sun for all the flowers to grow, and enough room for a family memorial to honor and celebrate our family. We were able to do that on the Boulevard, as we call it, which offers wonderful shade during the summer and beautiful colorful foliage in the autumn.
During the winter, the trees offer resting space for the birds who come to seek food and rest. Lastly, the trees during the spring offer renewed hope of life everlasting.
The Boulevard begins directly in front of the Stone Chapel. It is lined on both sides of the street with maple trees.
Our family memorial is in section 23, which is located on the second block, east, from the Stone Chapel, on the north side of the street. We are located directly in the front row for everyone to see, remember and reflect. Just look for Olivia’s smiling face.
Gallery of Riverside Photos requires high speed connection.
Feel free to e-mail parents: firstname.lastname@example.org